Idyllic Morningside properties
There doesn’t appear to be readily apparent and available information on how the Sandton suburb of Morningside got its name. Nevertheless, “Morningside” conjures up images of waking up to bright, peaceful mornings in a tranquil leafy suburb, with morning sunshine creating dapples of light and shade through the green leaves of trees and shrubs.
In the background, birds sing and call to one another in a chorus that welcomes the dawning of a fresh, new day. Perhaps this image was inspired by Cat Stevens’ song “Morning has broken” and its lyrics, which begin: “Morning has broken, like the first morning. Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird”. Sounds idyllic, doesn’t it?
That’s nevertheless an accurate description of waking up in your bedroom in a north-facing property in the slightly secluded green suburb of Morningside, Johannesburg.
Lay of the land
Although Morningside is split in two by a very busy arterial road – Rivonia Road – the suburb maintains its quiet, tranquil atmosphere and ambience, unhindered and unfettered by the undetected hustle and bustle of activity that surrounds the area.
Morningside is an affluent suburb which manages to seamlessly blend a variety of modern architectural masterpieces with spacious older dwellings and stately homes, all within one area. Properties tend to be large, in keeping with Morningside’s park-like location and its greenery.
With or without possible inspiration from Cat Stevens, bird life is indeed abundant in Morningside, as one would expect from a lush green suburb with lots of trees and vegetation that welcome bird life. Greater Johannesburg’s greenery or urban jungle, as it’s sometimes called, is visible from space, and yet certain suburbs, Morningside among them, add to this natural phenomenon.
On the banks of the Outspan Spruit (stream) that flows through the area, one encounters the Outspan Bird Sanctuary and its myriad of inhabitants, comprising of many African bird species that are indigenous to this part of the Highveld. Almost two hectares of pristine nature are dedicated to these feathered friends and the leisurely strollers, dog walkers, and nature and bird lovers who live in Morningside.
Leaving Morningside’s tranquillity
Morningside has few shops and businesses within the borders of the suburb, which is almost exclusively residential in essence. However, this presents no problems for its economically active population.
Sandton CBD is just down the road, as are its vast numbers of modern office blocks, banks, head offices, corporate companies, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and Sandton City, Johannesburg’s premier retail and entertainment mall.
Other adjacent and nearby areas that also offer employment and commercial opportunities include Fourways, Rivonia, Rosebank, Dunkeld, Hyde Park, Parktown North and Parkhurst, to name a few.
A host of other facilities are also located really close to Morningside:
- Excellent schools – pre-school, primary and secondary.
- World-class hospitals and medical facilities.
- The Gautrain rapid rail stops at Sandton City and its dedicated buses transport train passengers to and from designated points in various suburbs.
- Entertainment facilities to suit everyone – theatres, art galleries, cinemas, delightful coffee shops, restaurants galore – serving typically South African fare and diverse international cuisine.
- Gyms and sports facilities.
- Montecasino is a popular casino and entertainment centre, which also boasts two theatres..
- The bird garden at Montecasino is a lovely local attraction, popular with South Africans and tourists alike. The bird display tastefully showcases the incredible natural skills of several trained bird species and is a must-see. The bird garden also displays various small mammal species and reptiles..
- A little further afield, the list of attractions that are easily accessible to Morningside residents is very diverse and almost endless.
Finding Morningside properties
Fine & Country South Africa specialises in the buying, selling and rentals of fine properties in the Morningside and greater Sandton areas. Contact us when you’re ready to make your transition to Morningside. Our highly trained, independent property experts will help you find your ideal property here, without Cat Stevens’ influence.