Edstone, Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire, B95
10 Bedrooms -
A magnificent country residence extending to over 24,000 sq. ft offering enormous scope and potential, either as a commercial opportunity or residential dwelling. The property is set in over 22 acres of glorious parkland. ... Read More »
A magnificent country residence extending to over 24,000 sq. ft offering enormous scope and potential, either as a commercial opportunity or residential dwelling. The property is set in over 22 acres of glorious parkland.
Edstone Hall is an outstanding country residence with easy access to Stratford Upon Avon and transport links to London. Birmingham International Airport and the NEC are some 18 miles away. There are varied sporting activities locally, including racing from both Warwick and Stratford, polo at Southam, golf courses at Henley-in-Arden and Stratford and boating on the River Avon and Stratford Canal.
This outstanding property was built in 1939 by Percy Pritchard, a Birmingham engineer. He demolished the existing Manor House but kept the extensive Georgian cellars which offer a cool and secure storage for vintage wines or conversion to an interesting suite of basement rooms. All the cellar rooms are normal room height and many have vaulted ceilings. The Hall has been constructed to the highest quality with stone mullion windows, steeply pitched roof of Cotswold stone, balconies and roof terraces to take advantage of the superb views. The property retains many of the original art deco and arts and crafts features including fine stone fireplaces and a full height leaded and stained glass heraldic window depicting former occupants of the site.
Edstone Hall stands majestically in twenty two acres of grounds with stunning views across the Warwickshire countryside and for the past sixteen years has been a much loved home to Adrian and Christine. “We were looking for a property where we could both live and run our business,” says Adrian. “The hall was absolutely perfect, although when we found it, it had been an old people’s home and was in a very sad state. The splendid rooms had all been subdivided but we took great pleasure in restoring the hall to its original condition with all the comforts of 21st Century living.”
“The building dates from 1939 and the architect ensured that every room in the house has sun during the day,” says Christine. “It is brilliant, as we have breakfast in a sun washed kitchen and end the day with a glass of wine, in a room bathed in the rosy glow of the setting sun across the parkland. We love the whole building and enjoy the grandeur of rooms that retain such a wonderful warm ambience.
As soon as you enter the hallway with its fifteen foot window resplendent with a heraldic design, you are struck by the superb quality of the interior, the American Oakwood beams and grand staircase, the mullioned windows and impressive fireplaces in the reception rooms.”
“We both take pleasure in the fantastic amount of space,” explains Adrian. “When the children were teenagers we were able to create a two bedroom flat for them in the attics, where they have the best views of the surrounding countryside. When guests stay they appreciate the luxury of every bedroom having a balcony, overlooking an idyllic pastoral scene.
The house was originally built for entertaining and we have made great use of this facility, from thirty for a formal dinner to well over a hundred at our daughter’s birthday party. We erected a marquee on one of the terraces but the house can easily absorb this number.”
“There are so many things the hall could be, a boutique hotel, flats, nursing home or conference centre,” says Christine. “However we have enjoyed our superb home within it and the entire building could suit an extended family. I see how much the grandchildren enjoy the TV room, cycling along the corridors and being in their massive playroom. There is so much space to utilise, from the vast original Georgian cellars to the grounds where there is planning permission for an indoor swimming pool. The extensive gardens are extremely low maintenance and the mature trees, orchard and lake attracts a myriad of wild life and provides countless hours of pleasure whether it is playing tennis, riding or just soaking up the glorious surroundings. On the edge of pretty Wooton Wawen village and only a few miles from Stratford upon Avon and with easy access to the M40 and M42, Edstone Hall is not only a wonderful country dwelling but is in a perfect location. We are going to sorely miss it and its unique character.”
The property is remarkably versatile and lends itself to a variety of purposes including:-
Magnificent Private Dwelling
Country House or Boutique Hotel
Day Spa or Leisure Centre
Residential Care Village
Head Office or Office Complex
Conference or Training Centre
The accommodation includes extensive cellarage and attics and extends to approximately 24,000 sq. ft.
The ground floor offers a wealth of character and traditional features such as the wide stone open fireplace in the drawing room, the stone floor in the magnificent hallway, the ceiling beams in many of the rooms and the stone mullion windows.
Entrance Hall with Lift and Staircase to First Floor
3 Glorious Reception Rooms
Landing with Feature Stain Glass Window
2 Further First Floor Rooms
2 Further Landings
Access Through to Residential Wing
Self Contained Flat
External staircase leads to a roof balcony which leads to kitchen, sitting and dining area, two rooms and shower room.
The second floor is dominated by an extensive attic area which is partly boarded and divided into various sections. These could be easily converted if required, subject to building regulations. The attic area extends to well over 3,000 sq. ft. and is approached either from a staircase from the first floor or from a door via the second floor flat. The original staircase, which was located on the first floor, has been taken out but could easily be re-installed if required.
The substantial cellarage (over 5,700 sq. ft.) is approached via a wide staircase leading down from the main reception hall. The cellars were the original basement rooms to the former Georgian Manor House – many of the sections contain vaulted ceilings and the original stone shelves. The cellar also houses the central heating and hot water equipment and offers enormous scope and potential for conversion.
Garden & Grounds
The grounds around the house extend to some 22 acres and have a wonderful parkland feel. The breathtaking views over Edstone Lake are truly magnificent. The gardens effortlessly slope down to the lake and retain many enchanting trees including lebanon cedar, copper beech and oak. Within the grounds there is a five car garage, an all-weather tennis court, several storage sheds and extensive car parking, together with a further vehicular driveway.
Circa 730, the estate formed part of a monastery owned by Ailric the Saxon. Wagon the Thane held the manor until the conquest, when it was bestowed upon Robert de Stafford, his relation. Ralph de Ruperiis obtained it but was dispossessed by King John who granted it to the Knights Templar. Shortly after, the King granted Edstone to Geoffrey de Craucumbe but it passed again to the crown until Peter de Montfort obtained it. Will de Edricheston purchased it and styled himself Lord thereof. It came then to Sir Nicholas Tyfrewast Kt. His brother succeeded him and passed it to Henry de Bray for a clove gilliflower yearly. The latter conveyed it to Walter de Ailesbury. It continued in this family until by a daughter and heir it passed to Thomas Somervile in the reign of Edward the Fourth. The Somerviles held the manor for six generations, the last of the family, William Somervile, being the famous hunting poet. He died in 1742 when Edstone passed to Earl Catherlough. The Mills family purchased it from his son and built the previous hall. This was of a Greek revival style which became an hotel in 1928. In 1930 the house was demolished but the lodge remains.
From the North West - take the M6 to junction 4 onto the M42 Southbound. Leave the M42 at Junction 3a and take M40 to junction 16 onto the A3400 Southbound. Drive through Henley in Arden and Wootton Wawen. Edstone Hall is on your left approx 2 miles after Wootton Wawen.
From the North East - take the M1 to Junction 24 onto the A42, which leads to the M42 Southbound. From this point follow the directions as above.
From the South West - take the m5 to junction 4a onto the m42 Eastbound.
From this point follow the directions as above.
From the South East - take the M40 to Junction 15 onto the A46. At the first roundabout stay on the A46 (2nd exit). At the second roundabout take the A3400 (4th exit) to Henley in Arden. Edstone Hall is situated on the right hand side after the Railway Bridge approx 3 miles from the roundabout.
Electricity and water are connected to the property. The drainage is to a private system. Oil-fired central heating.
Stratford Borough Council.
Strictly via the vendors sole agents Fine & Country on 0121 705 1101.
Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.30pm
Saturday 9.00 am – 4.30 pm
For more information visit www.solihull.fineandcountry.co.uk or scan the QR code with your Smart Phone
All measurements are approximate and quoted in metric with imperial equivalents and for general guidance only and whilst every attempt has been made to ensure accuracy, they must not be relied on. The fixtures, fittings and appliances referred to have not been tested and therefore no guarantee can be given and that they are in working order. Internal photographs are reproduced for general information and it must not be inferred that any item shown is included with the property. For a free valuation, contact the numbers listed on the brochure.
« Read Less