Remember these 5 things when entering the market for luxury homes
Buying a new home is a huge investment in terms of money and commitment. It takes time to find the right property at the right price. To help you approach this potentially daunting task and make sure you do not rush your decision, here are some tips when looking for your ideal house among all the wonderful luxury homes available in South Africa:
- Try to spot the faults. In an ideal world, your dream property has no faults whatsoever. Realistically, however, even luxury homes might have some areas that require attention. A seller would try to make a house seem as attractive as possible and draw attention away from less appealing features. Pay close attention to freshly painted areas, don’t be afraid to open cupboards, and remember to check the outside of the house, as well as the roof. Flaws in luxury homes, if easy to fix, are not necessarily deal-breakers; in fact, they can even be used favourably during the negotiation phase.
- How is the neighbourhood? When it comes to luxury homes, it is not only the property itself, but also the location and surroundings that determine its true value. It can be tempting to fall in love with a charming property that seduces you with its style, but take a step back and compare it to the properties around it. Are they of similar quality or does the property stand out like a sore thumb? And how does the price compare to other, similar luxury homes in the area? This might be an indication that the asking price is a good deal or leaves room for negotiation.
- Remember, luxury is all about you. The splendour and convenience of a property are locked up in that which truly matters to you. What one person finds luxurious, another finds inconsequential. What is it that truly matters to you and would add value to your life? Obviously, you are looking at luxury homes that offer a certain amount of style and comfort, but what is of highest importance to you? Is it the location? The proximity to top schools, your place of work, or your social life? Is space the ultimate luxury to you? Or is it the extras, like the swimming pool, the private sauna, the views, or the state-of-the-art kitchen?
- How tech-ready is the property? Whether you are a tech expert or not, we live in the age of technology and the convenience and comfort it adds to our lives are undeniable. The requirement for connectivity in our daily lives demands the availability of a fibre-optic Internet connection. As not all suburbs have it yet, remember to check whether the luxury homes you are viewing are connected this way. Also consider other technology additions that add value to your property and your life, such as solar panels for generating energy (very useful, given the disruption caused by load shedding in South Africa), sensor technology and a security alarm for increased safety, and a smart thermostat for interior climate control.
- Partner with a reputable estate agent. Finding the property that perfectly meets all your requirements can be a time-consuming and tedious task when attempted alone. Partner with a reputable estate agent that specialises in luxury homes, can listen to your requirements, and will source suitable properties in the right location and at the right price for you. A professional partner such as Fine & Country South Africa has the necessary knowledge about the various areas in South Africa’s affluent neighbourhoods, as well as the experience to navigate the process smoothly and professionally to ensure it is hassle-free for you.
Contact us now to talk about your property requirements.